American Angus Association (AAA)
American Angus Association Interface with CattleMax
As a registered plan CattleMax customer and member of the American Angus Association, you can save yourself time and effort by using the following features.
- Import your breed association cattle records into CattleMax
- Sync the association data with your animals in CattleMax who have matching registration numbers
- Register your calves with the association after adding the calf to CattleMax
- Update herd EPDs
The Herd Inventory file or Herd Extract is a copy of your active registered cattle records, 3 generation pedigrees, current EPDs, and current performance information as previously submitted to the association.
The EPD or Performance file contains a current copy of your registered animals’ EPDs and is commonly downloaded when new EPDs are released by the Association.
Important Items to Note:
- If importing records, please wait until the import process is complete before entering any records into your CattleMax Online account.
- Do not open any files from the association prior to importing them into CattleMax as this will likely lead to information being imported incorrectly. If you have opened it, please re-download the file and start the process again with the re-downloaded file.
- If you are not able to see the option for entering a registration number on an individual animal, please update your account settings. (Customizing CattleMax / Account Settings - click here.)
How do I obtain the file from the Breed Association for import into CattleMax?
The American Angus Association asks that you as the member contact and request the herd inventory file direct from the association.
Please email the AAA Operations Department ( firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 816-383-5166 to request a copy of your herd inventory file for import into CattleMax. You will need to provide your Breed Association membership number and know that the AAA will bill your account $25 for the herd file inventory download.
I have the unopened herd file. Now what?
- Open your CattleMax account.
- Click on the Cattle tab at the top > View All Groups and Interfaces.
- Choose your breed association name from under the Breed Interfaces section or if you do not see it here then you need to set-up the respective breed interface in CattleMax. Enabling Breed Association Interfaces - click here.
- Be sure to notice the file format. To import properly, your file must be in the format shown in CattleMax.
- Click browse (in the Import Herd Inventory section) then select the file you saved to your computer (NOTE: Do not import a file that has been opened.)
- When available, consider using the Sync feature by placing a checkmark next to Sync. (See details below regarding this feature.)
- Click Import Animals to finish the task.
- NOTE: If importing records, please wait until the import is complete before entering any records into your CattleMax Account. If you do happen to have cattle already in the account, be sure each of those registered animals has the correct registration number entered in CattleMax to match the import registration number.
I already have cattle in my CattleMax account. How do I use the Sync option?
The Sync option is available to allow adding new animal records to the CattleMax herd data or completing/updating current animal records (such as pedigree, performance, etc.). CattleMax will match registration numbers for the file to be imported, so it is important the registration numbers in your CattleMax herd file EXACTLY match your breed association records.
While your association may use letter prefixes as part of the animal registration number in their database, they may not consider that prefix part of the animal’s official registration number. Therefore, the association may drop the letter prefix in their file for import into CattleMax. Be sure any animals you already have in your CattleMax account have their registration number entered accordingly prior to import to prevent duplication of animal records.
How do I submit a new calf registration file from CattleMax to the Breed Association?
The calves eligible for registration will be shown when you go to the Cattle tab > View All Groups and Interfaces > choose your breed association name. Only calves that do not have any data in the Registration # line will appear for review on this form.
If there are errors (information missing from the calf record which the association requires), there will be an Error noted rather than the checkbox. To correct the Error(s), click Edit to be shown what is missing or in error on that record. Once the information is completed, the checkbox will then appear for your use.
You can select the calves you want to submit for registration by checking the box beside their ID, or if you want to submit all, check the box in the header. Once everything is correct and you are ready to submit/upload to your breed association, click the Download Electronic Registration File of Selected Animals button at the bottom then save the file to your computer desktop for easy access.
You will then attach this calf registration file to an email to be sent to the association through the following email address email@example.com or call 816-383-5166 to reach the Breed Association.
I sent the new calf registration file to the Breed Association. Now what?
When you have used the CattleMax interface to submit registrations to your breed association, you will then be able to download and import into CattleMax the registration numbers along with any EPDs and performance data for the newly registered calves. Once you have been notified your calf registrations are complete, you will need to download the file for import.
After you have the unopened file from the association downloaded to your computer, open your CattleMax account > click the Cattle tab > View All Groups and Interfaces > your association > Update EPDs from AAA Staff > Browse > choose the Calf Registration file from the association saved on your computer > Update EPDs.
How do I update my herd EPDs in CattleMax?
The American Angus Association allows members to contact them directly for the EPD file download which would result in a $15 charge to their AAA account. Alternatively, customers are able to follow the steps below to download their own EPD file for free.
After you log in to the AAA site:
- Go to Reports, EPD Reports, EPD/$Values - Owned Animals
- Check "Excel Spreadsheet'
- Press Search
If you have questions regarding how to obtain this file, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-383-5166 to reach the Breed Association.
After you download the unopened EPD file, open your CattleMax account > click on the Cattle tab > View all Groups and Interfaces > your association > choose the correct Update EPDs from AAA either website or staff button > Browse > choose the EPD file saved on your computer > Update EPDs.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com or 1-800-641-2343 for assistance.